Friday, July 22, 2005

The Prisoner and the Lark

Oh, what is life, cried out the prisoner
Is there no justice?
A virtuous man has been condemned
For no fault of his

Life is beautiful, sang the lark outside
Life is sweet and nice
Life is just a journey, young man
With its lows and highs

Ah, so you say, bemoaned the prisoner
In a despairing tone
You fly about with unfettered wings
While I suffer alone

Suffering is a passing phase, replied the bird
Do not be so forlorn
Without enduring darkness, how can we
Appreciate the morn?

You speak well, said the prisoner
But I am frail and weak
A glimpse of freedom and some happiness
Are all that I seek

Freedom is in every song that I sing
Said the lark with a melodious lilt
True happiness is around you
And in everything that God has built

Freedom is in the rays of the sun
That stream into your cell
True happiness is within you
Just break out of your shell

Fare thee well, little bird, said the prisoner
When all seemed to fall apart
Your song gave me a glimmer of hope and joy
I thank thee with all my heart

3 comments:

Renee Wagemans said...

This is a beautiful poem

Thanks for your comment on my poetry too

gulnaz said...

True happiness is within you
Just break out of your shell

wow!

beautiful poem! :)

iamnasra said...

Every day im discovering new Poetic talents